Tuesday 27 December 2011

A Dragonfly and The Hatch

A dragonfly landed into the palm of my hand. It was beautiful, with wings that glistened a web of silver and a body of jewelled emerald and aquamarine, all the colours of a tropical sea. Ever so slowly I tried to pull my hand out and take a closer look. But then I scared it off. I'm not sure if it flew away from me or it came with me out of the screen, it was all too quick.

I saw something at the back of the plane. Then I saw it again, something glistening only now and then. I went to go and have a look as there  wasn't anything else to do anyway. There were five doors at the back of the plane, which didn’t include the two large exits. Four of them were toilets which left one to the rear left. I stood exactly at the very spot where I thought I saw the light. The light I thought I saw that glistened from the dragonfly's wing. I tried the door and to my surprise it opened onto a spiral staircase. I ran up closing the door behind me hoping that no one saw.



At the top I came into a room which looked like it belonged to the cabin of a boat. It was a small room with low ceiling, bare except for four bunk beds that surround the walls. I looked at each of the beds, they were so inviting I just wanted to lie down, I was so tired. I sneaked into the closest bottom bunk, someone had left a blanket hanging down to keep out the dull light from over head. I lay down and slowly drifted in and out of sleep, tossing and turning, but I couldn’t quite get comfortable. Fed up I pulled the blankets and pillow away. I try again but it's a 100 times worse. I look again to check under the mattress and to my surprise I found a hatch, how about that. I wondered what could be on the other side. Maybe my wonderland. That would be too weird, because there is no such thing.

Without thinking, sensibly I mean, I pulled the latch of the hatch. Then I was sucked into a tremendous gust of wind. Oh no, how stupid, I felt so scared. All I could do was shut my eyes, - how silly of me. I was sure this would be the end of me. I thought that I had opened an exit door and had got sucked right out of the plane. How could I have been so careless, so stupid! I waited for what felt like infinity, over and over for what I thought was to be, my untimely death. – I held my breath, as if that would help. Then I fall, literally out of the sky, I couldn't hold it anymore. And.... then I gasped, so I was breathing. I had landed on a pavement. I pinched myself. I must be alive or maybe even worse, I had fallen out of heaven and gone straight to hell.


I took a deep breath, opened my eyes and slowly picked myself up. I was at a crossroads, I could see tramlines crossing the other side, I felt heavy and dazed, there was something memorable  about this place. I saw a white picket fence. I sat there and reached forward and without realising I had traced the letters just above my head. Nobelsgate – Of coarse, it was familiar. I stood up and ran pass one house and stopped at the next. I stood in front of the white gate. On the post was the number 13, again without being aware I traced my fingers over it. Then the strangest thing happened, the gate opened. It looked like Hansel and Gretel's gingerbread house it had red roses creeping up the white walls, or maybe it's sweets, it was hard to tell.  I felt happy, I could smile, I was safe. I know exactly where I was. This was my great grandparents house in Norway, my mum's Momo and Mofa's home in Norway, where her mum and brother were brought up, I've seen it in old photos. I was  in  Oslo -Nobelsgate 13 to be more precise. I ran up the stairs to the front door at the side of the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment